Starting & Maintaining a Business
Looking to start a new business or need the latest information on business news or trends? To search in one of our electronic resources, click on the Electronic Resources to the left.
One of the following websites may have the business research, trends, networks and information you are looking for as you start or maintain your business:
- Grants.gov - A central storehouse for information on over 1,000 grant programs and provides access to approximately $500 billion in annual awards.
- Indiana Department of Administration - A multi-purpose service agency for all Minority Business Enterprises (MBE) and Women Business Enterprises (WBE) that seek to participate in the state's procurement and contracting process.
- Indiana's Department of Business and Employment - Assists in starting and maintaining a business in Indiana with job resources, labor laws, license and permit information, and state business data.
- Indiana Secretary of State Business Service Division - A division of the Secretary of State providing Information to start up of a new business in Indiana.
- IRS Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Centers - Tax centers have been developed to help you quickly find information related to your particular area of interest, industry or profession on one page.
- IRS Video Portal for Small Businesses - Learn about tax topics through video and audio presentations. Tax questions? Watch videos – Get answers!
- Ready Business - Be prepared for emergencies! Prepare, Plan and Stay Informed!
- Small Business Administration (SBA) - Information about starting, financing, and expanding a business including sections on financing, available loans, and financial forms.
- U.S. Census Interactive Map - This map includes data from the County Business Patterns program and the 2010 Census. County Business Patterns data for 2009 were released in June, 2011.
- U.S. Minority Business Development Agency - Assist the development of minority-owned firms.
- American Red Cross - Keep informed before and after emergencies through the American Red Cross.
- Score - Provides free counseling and mentoring to entrepreneurs.
- BizLink - Provides access to electronic and print business resources selected by Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County's professional Information Services staff.
- CCH Business Owner's Toolkit - Offers more than 5,000 pages of free cost-cutting tips, step-by-step checklists, real-life case studies, startup advice, and business templates to small business owners and entrepreneurs.
- Digital Women - Targeted toward women in business.
- Entrepreneur Magazine - Online articles from starting a business to technology.
- Franchise Handbook - Provides access to related news articles along with a franchise directory.
- United States Chamber of Commerce - For business owners needing start-up business plans and networking with other small businesses. News information, contact information, etc.