Links for Teachers
We want to support classroom teachers in creating rich learning experiences for their students. We hope to do so via teacher collections, extra benefits when using a library card, library tours, classroom visits, and other possibilities.
JCPL librarians are happy to work with teachers to provide high-quality, educational, entertaining programs for students. We can plan to visit your classroom or arrange to have the students visit the library. Tours and library instruction are possible. Whatever subject or project you are undertaking, we look forward to helping you as we can to enhance your students' learning experiences. To request a visit or tour, please contact the Children's Services Department Manager at the branch nearest you.
- Tiffany D. Wilson at Clark Pleasant Branch
- Sarah Taylor at Franklin Branch
- Todd Jones at Trafalgar Branch
- Beth Martin at White River Branch
With your JCPL library card, teacher's can check out more than 30 books at a time and keep them for up to 6 weeks. At the start of the school year, visit your local library branch to show proof of your employment via check stub or school I.D. You are responsible for paying fines, renewing items as needed, lost or damaged items, and returning items on time. If you would like a librarian to gather a collection of books for you, please contact us through the Children's Services Department Manager or fill out a Collection Request Form below for the branch you want to pick up the materials. Please be specific about your needs so we can better serve you.
Please choose the branch where you would like to pick up your collection:
Here is a sampling of some items in our collection that might enhance your lesson plans:
- Audio books on cassette tape or CD for picture books through chapter books
- Early Literacy Kits on various subjects containing manipulatives, games, puzzles, puppets, books, CDs, and many more options for ages 0 to 5
- Educational DVDs and video cassette tapes
- Encyclopedias and dictionaries that can be checked out
- Multiple copies of some titles
- Music CDs, CD-Roms
- Newbery Medal titles, Caldecott Medal titles, Young Hoosier Award nominees
- Parent/Teacher Collection: books on every subject you teach that might include lesson plans, professional advice, worksheets to copy, etc.
- Much, much more!
Links for Teachers
- A to Z Teacher Stuff - Educational resources arranged by thematic unit. Lesson plans and activity suggestions are available.
- The Best Children's Books - Find a quality children's book to help you in any subject, on any topic. This website was created by teachers and includes many booklists, complete with book's cover, summary, and interest and difficulty level.
- Education World - A searchable database containing curriculum ideas, lesson plans, technology information, program ideas and more. A great resource!
- Educator's Reference Desk - Lesson plans, curriculum ideas, classroom management tips, and more. An excellent resource for any teacher.
- Hot Chalk's Lesson Plans Page - Over 3,000 free lesson plans. Features a science experiments section, math worksheets and teacher discussion forums.
- Indiana Department of Education - Information about schools, teachers, and educational standards in the state of Indiana, as well as the most up-to-date educational news for the state.
- Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators - Maintained by the Discovery Channel, this site contains a categorized list of websites useful for enhancing curriculum and professional growth.
- RubiStar: Rubric Maker - Develop a Rubric on a topic by entering some basic information into a template. The site generates the Rubric for you and it can be saved for future use.
- Teacher's Network - Created for teachers by teachers. Find information on lesson planning, professional development and more!
- Teachnology - Free and easy to use resources for teachers from lesson plans to rubrics to printable worksheets.