The Collection Services Department is involved in the acquisitions, cataloging, processing, and distribution of the Johnson County Public Library's materials. This department also houses the Interlibrary (ILL) Loan processes.
- Place orders with suppliers for print and nonprint materials selected by librarians.
- Receive items delivered by suppliers by updating information in automated system.
- Create and pay invoices for delivered items using automated system.
- Route items to Cataloging or Processing.
- Resolve problems - ie: not enough items delivered, wrong item delivered, item(s) never delivered, invoices not received.
- Search national database(s) for bibliographic record describing specific title and associated items. Create new bibliographic records as needed.
- Edit record - Verify accuracy of data in each record; Apply established descriptive guidelines; Download records to local database and verify success of download.
- Print labels and route to processing.
- Resolve problems: Correct misspelled words; upgrade bibliographic data to reflect best form of access for a particular subject or a person's name; consolidate bibliographic records; update and revise call numbers for best shelf-browsing access.
- Create and print labels for items
- Attach labels and stickers to items and to pockets.
- Attach pockets to items.
- Apply protective cover material to items or place in protective containers.
- Replace labels, stickers, pockets, and or protective covers or containers as needed.
- Quality check of label information.
- Enter data to complete information for every item owned by JCPL.
- Handle processes to remove items withdrawn from JCPL collections.
- Pack material for distribution.
- Resolve problems: item not found, reclassification projects, etc...
INTERLIBRARY LOAN (ILL)
If you would like material that we do not own, we may be able to obtain it from another library.
TO MAKE A REQUEST:
- Have a valid Johnson County Public Library (JCPL) card & provide your current address and phone number.
- Have the title and author (if applicable) for the item you would like.
- You can make the request by phone or in person at any of our reference desks at any JCPL Branch.
- Indicate the maximum charge you are willing to pay to get the material.
- Please be willing to wait several days for delivery of the material.
HOW MUCH DOES THE SERVICE COST YOU?
- JCPL does not charge our patrons for Interlibrary loan (ILL) service; the library takes care of all costs of processing, shipping, etc. as a service to our patrons.
- Other libraries may charge to lend materials to us, however and the patron is responsible for those charges.