Reserving a Room for Special Events
Policy and Regulations
- As a service to our community, the use of our Community Room for special celebratory events, such as baby showers, receptions, etc., is provided at a minimal cost.
- An application to use the Community Room must be completed by an adult with a valid Johnson County Public Library Card.
- Special events must not be of a nature which would interfere with the normal operations of the Library.
- Groups using the Community Room must consist of at least five individuals. Event attendance may not exceed room capacity.
- Special Events require rental of full community room.
- Final decision pertaining to the use of the Community Room rests with the Library Director and/or the Library Board of Trustees.
- All Community Room applications are to be submitted at least 72 hours before the scheduled event. Forms are available at the Adult Reference Desk or on the JCPL website (www.jcplin.org).
- Completing this application constitutes acknowledgement of the Community Room Use Policy. Completed forms can be turned in at the Adult Reference Desk, emailed, or faxed to the appropriate branch.
- Library-sponsored programs and events shall receive priority. All other reservations will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Reservations may be made up to 90 days in advance.
- A single group may use a meeting room within the Johnson County Public Library System up to two times per month.
- A deposit of 50% of the room and equipment rental fee is due upon applying for room use. The balance will be due the day of the event. The deposit will be forfeited if a 24-hour cancellation notice is not provided.
- Library-owned audio-visual equipment is available to rent at a minimal fee. Reservations for use are to be made at the time the meeting room application is submitted. Groups requesting use of the equipment must provide someone familiar with the operation of such equipment. The individual reserving the room takes responsibility for the operation and care of the equipment.
- Applicants will be notified upon approval.
- Meeting rooms are available for use during the Libraryís hours of operation.
- Smoking, the use of alcoholic beverages, and the use of open flames is prohibited.
- The Community Room is not designed for food service. However, a small kitchenette is available, and light refreshments may be served. See Refreshment Guidelines.
- Refreshments may not be taken into any other part of the Library.
- Announcements should not imply that a program, meeting, group, or ideas expressed are sanctioned by the Library.
- Children must have adult supervision before, during, and after programs and group events, and should not be left to entertain themselves and use the library without adult supervision. Trips to the restroom and into and out of the building also require appropriate adult supervision.
- Room setup is the responsibility of the group members. All chairs and tables are stored in the Community Room and may be rearranged as needed. The wheels on the tables must be unlocked before they are moved. Damage may occur if the tables are moved while the wheels are locked.
- Decorations may be approved in advance by the Branch Manager.
- Sitting or standing on the tables is not allowed.
- Groups using the Community Room are not allowed to store items in the Library.
- Noise during use of the Community Room should be kept to a minimum so as not to disturb others in the Library.
- Special Event attendance shall be recorded on the forms provided and returned to the adult reference desk. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure this form is completed for the special event.
- Advance notice of 24 hours is to be given to the Library if a special event is to be cancelled. If advance notice is given, the deposit will be refunded within 30 days.
- Rooms should be left in a neat and orderly condition. Tables and chairs should be cleaned after use.
- Meeting rooms must be vacated at least ten minutes prior to the Libraryís closing time.
- Library staff will make every effort to ensure AV equipment is in good working order; however, the Library can make no guarantees that the equipment will meet a groupís needs and specifications.
- Applicants assume full responsibility for any damage incurred resulting from the misuse of the Community Room or any equipment used.
- If excessive clean-up is required by Library staff, or if there has been abuse of the facilities or equipment, fees will be assessed and room use may be restricted thereafter.
- The Library is not liable for injuries to persons or damage to or loss of property of persons or organizations using the Community Room.
- Failure to comply with any of the Libraryís regulations may result in forfeiture of the groupís use of the Community Room.
JCPL Adopted 2007-08; Rev. 2010-01