FAQ – Placing Holds
- What do I need to do to use JCPL's computers?
- Does the library have free Wi-Fi Internet access?
- How do I obtain a library card?
- What is my PIN?
- What if I forget my library card?
- How do I access my account online?
- How do I place an item on hold?
- How much does it cost to photocopy or print?
- How can I reserve a study room or meeting room?
- Does JCPL have downloadable audiobooks?
- Do you provide Homebound Services?
To Place or Change a Hold
When you want an item that is checked out to another patron, you can place a hold on it. When your requested item is returned to the library, it is placed on a special shelf, and the library notifies you to pick it up. You must log on to your account before you can place a hold. Some libraries allow patrons to place holds on items currently on the shelf. Check with a librarian if you have questions about your library's policies.
To place holds:
- Click Place Hold on the details section from your Search Results.
- The Submit Hold window will appear, and you will be prompted to log on if you have not previously done so.
- If available, select a library where you would like to pick up the item.
- Type an Expiration Date if you want to tell the library that you will not need the item after this date.
- Click Submit Hold to place the hold, or click Clear Search to start over.